Freedom Information Act
Written Public Summary
Cedar Springs Public Schools and Michigan's Freedom of Information Act. As a public institution in the State of Michigan, Cedar Springs School District is subject to provisions of the state's Freedom of Information Act (FOIA).
Under the FOIA, "All persons, except those persons incarcerated in state or local correctional facilities, are entitled to full and complete information regarding the affairs of government and the official acts of those who represent them as public officials and public employees...." Consequently, any individual other than a federal, state or county prisoner has the right to inspect and/or receive copies of public records maintained by the District.
- What is a public record?
- How do I file a FOIA request with the district?
- Can some records be withheld?
- How much time does the district have to respond?
- Are there fees for providing documents?
- Can I inspect a public record in person?
- What recourse do I have if the response is untimely, the fee is excessive or I am denied information?